What is a Dislocated Worker? (Dislocation/Separated from Employment)

You may be considered a dislocated worker if any of the following situations apply to you:

  • -You have been terminated or laid off due to a permanent plant closure, a mass layoff within the company, or your position has been eliminated and you will be unable to return to work in that industry or occupation.
  • -You are self-employed, but the economy or a natural disaster has put you out of work or is causing your business to fail.
  • -You are a displaced homemaker/caregiver who has been staying home to care for family members and you’ve lost your primary means of support.

How to Apply for Unemployment Insurance

You can file a claim for unemployment benefits at NEworks.Nebraska.gov.

(Click here to go directly the "Unemployment Services and Benefits" page.)

If you don’t have a computer, you can visit our Heartland Workforce Solutions American Job Center where there are computers available and staff to help you.

Click here for the American Job Center location and contact information.

Not all dislocated workers are eligible to receive unemployment benefits. If you have questions regarding your eligibility or you are unable to file your claim using the online system, please call the Nebraska Claims Center at 402-458-2500

Adult Career Services

If you qualify, there are a wide variety of services to assist you in obtaining new career skills—the kinds of skills that will help you find self-sustaining employment. It requires a commitment of your time and dedication, but the services offered are extremely beneficial.

  • -Personalized attention with a Career Specialist
  • -Career assessment and exploration
  • -Services to address work readiness skills
  • -On-the-job training
  • -Job-search assistance
  • -Supportive services that address employment barriers
  • -Employment retention support
  • -Training in English as a second language
  • -Basic literacy skills

Education and Training

Some dislocated workers may qualify for assistance with tuition and supplies for post-secondary education and/or training for a new job or career. For more information on educational support and service please call 402-934-2241.

WIOA Adult/Dislocated Worker is excited to roll out our new orientation process and additional offerings beginning Tuesday, May 26th. Interested individuals may visit NationalAble.org/Calendar to sign up for the orientation most convenient to them by clicking on “Careers by National Able Network: An Online Orientation for Nebraska Residents!”

Orientations will be offered:
  • Tuesdays at 1pm
  • Thursdays at 10am
  • Saturdays at 1pm

Registering will automatically direct you to NationalAble.org/EnrollNebraska for access to the documents needed for enrollment.

Accessibility: Should the documents on the website not download correctly for use with a screen reader, please feel free to email WIOAOmaha@NationalAble.org and ask for assistance.

Individuals planning to enroll in school or training should also plan to participate in Training Guidance:

  • Tuesdays at 2pm
  • Thursdays at 11am
  • Saturdays at 2pm

*Please Note! The link for Orientations and Training Guidance is changing. It is now: https://www.gotomeet.me/WIOAOmaha

Participants may also access by calling 786.535.3211 access code 402997573#
One touch dialing: 7865353211,,402997573#